Check List for Final Details
- Death Notices and Obituaries (call your local newspaper, or the funeral home may make the arrangements);
- Check safety deposit box;
- Locate all important papers: Bank records, bills, birth certificate, credit cards, insurance records, mortgage and loan papers, marriage certificate, military papers, pension papers, savings bonds, Social Security and tax records, stocks, mutual funds, vehicle titles and registrations;
- Order a dozen copies of the death certificate. You will need a number of copies for various reasons, including working with your spouse`s creditors.
- Order a copy of the deceased`s credit report as well as your own. In many cases, the information will be the same, but there may be accounts on the deceased`s report of which you weren`t aware. Click here for information on ordering credit reports.
- Notify the three major credit reporting agencies of your spouse`s death.
- Notify creditors of the death.
- Notify employer of the death (may have wages, vacation, or 401k due to the deceased).
- Cancel medical insurance.
- Cancel or modify status of all credit cards.
- Cancel subscriptions and memberships.
- Remove the deceased`s name from mailing lists. Call 888-567-8688 to have the deceased`s credit file blocked from screening for pre-approved mailing lists.
- To have names removed from existing mailing lists write to:
Mail Preference Service Direct Marketing Association
P.O. Box 9008
Farmingdale, NY 11735-9008
- To have names removed from existing telemarketing lists write to:
Telephone Preference Service Direct Marketing Association
PO Box 9014
Farmingdale, NY 11735-9014
You should be aware that:
- If there will be a probate proceeding (which may or may not be required, depending on state law and the amount of assets), then the executor of the estate should get in touch with creditors.
- If there will not be a probate proceeding, then survivors should be in touch with creditors to notify them of the death. Most will request a copy of the death certificate, which you should already have on hand.