VISION USA provides free eye exams to eligible, low-income individuals. Services are donated by volunteer optometrists who are members of the American Optometric Association and may be limited in some areas.
You must work with a charitable organization, social worker, case worker, community health agency to submit an application. Applicants are to provide proof of household income for verification of income level eligibility.
Applicants must complete an application worksheet, including monthly financial information for all members of the household. Agency will verify that the financial information provided is accurate and that all eligibility requirements are met including income level.
If you are eligible to receive services, you will be matched with a volunteer doctor of optometry who will provide a comprehensive eye exam at no charge. The process is as follows:
- Your agency rep will receive an email notification on your behalf with the name of a volunteer doctor for you to contact directly to schedule an appointment for a no cost eye examination. A contact lens exam and / or contacts are not available through this program.
- Obtain a copy of the email notification from your case worker.
- Call the doctor within 45 days from the date of the email to schedule an appointment. Be sure to let the doctor's office know you were given the doctor's name through the VISION USA program.
- You are responsible for your own transportation and must be on time for your appointment to avoid scheduling conflicts.
- Contact the doctor's office 48 hours in advance of the day of your appointment should you need to cancel or reschedule.
- Missed appointments will not be rescheduled and will further disqualify you from receiving free eye care. Appointment days and times are limited.