Get Extra Help with Medicare costs
Thursday, October 31, 2013
Many older and disabled Ohioans are struggling to pay their Medicare out-of-pocket costs (premiums, deductibles, co-payments and drug costs). Help is available, but many people don’t know about it or assume they won’t qualify.
Council on Aging can help. Call and speak to our trained staff to find out if you qualify for Medicare’s Extra Help program. We will also help you apply for Extra Help over-the-phone; it takes only a few minutes and you do not have to come to our office. Call (513) 721-1025 or (800) 252-0155. Staff are available 8 am – 4:30 pm, Monday-Friday.
If you qualify, Medicare will pay:
- All or most of the monthly premium
- All or most of the annual deductible
- Most of your copayments/co-insurance
- Full coverage during the donut hole
To be eligible, an individual's monthly income must be less than $1,437 ($1,939 for a couple) and his or her resources (assets) cannot total more than $13,300 ($26,580 for a couple). Income and resources include money from social security, pensions, employment, interest, checking/savings accounts, and investments (stocks, bonds, mutual funds, IRAs). Resources DO NOT include your home, car, and burial plot or life insurance policies.
Some other signs you may qualify:
- Your Medicare premium is deducted from your Social Security check
- You pay more than $6.60 for a prescription,
- You pay a premium for your drug plan