PUCO advises to arrange for propane supply early
Wednesday, October 15, 2014
COLUMBUS, OH (Oct. 9, 2014) - The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) joins the Propane Education & Research Council (PERC) in encouraging Ohio consumers to consider the following steps to proactively prepare for the coming winter heating season.
- Check your current propane supply. Make sure that you are aware of your current supply to decide your needs to get through the heating season.
- Call your provider. Get in touch with the propane provider that issued your tank. Begin a good working relationship and develop a plan for your propane supply including refills, automatic refills and payment programs to make sure your tank stays full.
- Fill up early. By filling your tank early (before the demand for propane increases due to falling temperatures), you can help your provider better plan for supply needs so that everyone has a safe and comfortable winter.
- Make sure your home or business is running efficiently. Have a technician check your appliances and propane system, look for energy efficient upgrades like programmable thermostats, let the sun naturally heat your home by opening curtains and set your water heater no higher than 120 degrees.
- Explore the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP). HEAP is available to income-eligible customers in Ohio. For more information visit www.winterheat.ohio.gov. Council on Aging can help seniors and people with disabilities apply for HEAP benefits.
For more propane-related information, the PERC directs customers to www.propanecomfort.com. The website has information on the propane industry, a quiz to see if you are prepared and safety and efficiency tips.