Ohio HOME Choice program update
Sunday, July 14, 2019
As we reported in October 2018, federal funding for the HOME Choice program ended and changes were being made so that this successful program would continue.
Beginning July 1, 2019, HOME Choice services are available through Ohio’s Medicaid wavier programs, which includes Ohio Home Care, MyCare Ohio and PASSPORT wavier programs, along with the Department of Developmental Disabilities Individual Options (IO) waiver.
HOME Choice is a Medicaid transition program that assists eligible Ohioans age 18 and older to move from a long-term care facility into a home and community-based setting.
What services and supports does the program offer?
Transition Coordination, which may include:
- Collaboration with discharge planners and supports needed in the community
- Finding housing
- Coordinating Community Transition services
- Identifying other communities resources
Community Transition Services, which may include:
- Security deposits and rental expenses required to obtain a lease
- Essential household items
- Fees and deposit for utilities and other services (e.g. phone, electricity, gas, water)
- Moving expenses
- Pre-transition transportation
To learn more and apply
Individuals and family members/guardian will work with the long-term care facility and HOME Choice transition staff to apply, discuss options and coordinate services and supports.
Application is available online, here.
For questions, contact the Ohio Department of Medicaid HOME Choice (888) 221-1560 or HOME_Choice@medicaid.ohio.gov