Council on Aging (COA) is seeking members for its Advisory Council, which plays a critical role in COA’s mission to enhance people’s lives by assisting them to remain independent through a range of quality services.
The Advisory Council gives voice to older consumers of services, people with disabilities and others involved in the field of aging. Members’ views are brought to the attention of the Board of Trustees and COA staff to bring about a collaboration of older citizens, people with disabilities, community agencies, and state and local governments.
The purpose of the Advisory Council is:
- To provide information, guidance, advice and support to Council on Aging
- To advocate on behalf of older adults and people with disabilities in Butler, Clermont, Clinton, Hamilton and Warren counties
- To represent the interests of older adults and people with disabilities in the county where the member lives: Butler, Clermont, Clinton, Hamilton or Warren counties
Specific responsibilities include:
- Attend quarterly meetings
- Evaluate program results and assess new service needs
- Review and recommend action on service contracts and COA’s Area Plan
- Recruit volunteers for program activities and participate in outreach activities
- Support services for older adults and people with disabilities by actively advocating at the community, state and federal levels
- Report on issues, activities and concerns related to older adults in the community
Council on Aging serves more than 27,000 individuals each year. Individuals served represent a variety of backgrounds, races, beliefs, lifestyles, life experiences and cultures. As such, COA seeks to work with an Advisory Council that reflects this diversity.
The makeup of COA’s Advisory Council must include:
- More than 50 percent of membership must be over 60 years of age, including minority and older individuals living in rural areas
- Priority populations, or organizations that represent priority populations, as identified by the Ohio Department of Aging (ODA), including: Holocaust survivors; LGBTQ; limited English proficiency; severe disabilities; Alzheimer’s disease/dementia; behavioral health concerns; or low income
- Representatives of older individuals and/or family caregivers of such individuals
- Representatives of health care provider organizations, including veterans’ health care
- Representatives of supportive services provider organizations
- Persons with leadership experience
- Local elected officials
- Representatives of faith-based organizations
- The general public
About Council on Aging
Council on Aging of Southwestern Ohio (COA) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to enhancing quality of life for older adults, people with disabilities, their families and caregivers. COA promotes choice, independence, dignity and well-being through a range of services that help people remain independent for as long as possible.
COA is a state-designated Area Agency on Aging serving Butler, Clermont, Clinton, Hamilton and Warren counties. One call to COA links people to the wide variety of agencies, information and programs that serve older adults and people with disabilities.
4601 Malsbary Road, Blue Ash, OH 45242 | 513-721-1025 | 800-252-0155 | www.help4seniors.org
Clinton County Office:
2333 Rombach Avenue, Wilmington, OH 45177 | 937-449-0642 | 800-252-0155 | www.help4seniors.org