Besides being a state and federal requirement for anyone thinking about entering a Medicaid-certified nursing facility, Pre-Admission Reviews are an important part of the long-term care planning process. They help people understand all their options for long-term care, options that may include home and community-based services and assisted living. At Council on Aging, our Pre-Admission Review Team (Pre-Ad) conducts more than 11,000 reviews each year.
Click here for an information sheet for residents and families.
Resources for Hospital and Nursing Facility Staff
COA’s Pre-Ad team works with professionals from hospitals and nursing facilities to provide screening and review of required PASRR processes and Levels of Care (LOC) as stipulated in Federal Law and the Ohio Administrative Code.
This page provides information on PASRR and LOC processes, step-by-step processes for common scenarios, links to required forms, and updates to rules about nursing facility placement.
- 9401 Submission
- Hospital Processes
- Nursing Facilities
- Pre-Admission Screening (PAS)
- Nursing Facility to Nursing Facility Transfers
- Nursing Facility Transfers Involving a Hospital Stay
- Healthcare Electronic Notification System (HENS)
- Hospital Discharge Exemptions
- Level of Care (LOC)
- Out of State Processes
- Resident Review (RR)
Ohio Department of Medicaid Contacts for Nursing Facilities
The following contact information has been provided by the Ohio Department of Medicaid for the purposes noted:
- For questions regarding 9401 submissions, nursing facility admissions and discharges, please contact: NFStay@medicaid.ohio.gov
- For questions regarding the PASRR and LOC processes, please contact: PASRR@medicaid.ohio.gov
- For questions regarding nursing facility rules and policies, please contact: NFPolicy@medicaid.ohio.gov
Contacting our Pre-Admission Review Team
PASSR and LOC requests: All PASSR documentation must be completed in HENS. Paper/fax requests are no longer accepted as of December 30, 2019.
By E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
By Phone: (513) 345-8622
8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday
How do I contact someone on the weekend or a holiday?
Effective July 1, 2023, the Ohio Department of Aging and Ohio Area Agencies on Aging will no longer offer Extended coverage. Please submit all PASSR requests via HENS.