Services at your local Social Security office include:
- Apply for a Social Security number.
- Check your earnings record.
- Apply for Social Security benefits, Black Lung Benefits, Supplemental Security Income, and hospital insurance (Medicare).
- Enroll for medical insurance.
- Get help applying for food stamps.
- Learn everything you need to know about your rights and obligations under the Social Security law.
- Replace your Medicare card.
There is no charge for any of these services.
Social Security has toll-free telephone service to provide you with a convenient, easy way to conduct your Social Security business. Whether you need general information or to ask a specific question about your benefits, you can call the toll-free number 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays. You can speak to a representative from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on business days (you'll experience shorter wait times if you call after Tuesday). Most services now are available through the Internet at www.socialsecurity.gov.