The Elderly Services Program (ESP) helps older adults remain safe and independent in their homes. It expands care that may be provided by family and friends. ESP can delay or prevent nursing home placement. This program is available in Butler, Clinton, Hamilton and Warren counties.
ESP may be for you if you are:
- A resident of Butler, Clinton, Hamilton or Warren counties
- Age 60 or older (Hamilton or Warren counties)
- Age 65 or older (Butler or Clinton counties)
- Ineligible for services through PASSPORT (Ohio's Medicaid in-home care program)
- In need of help with everyday activities such as bathing, driving and preparing meals
There is no income qualification for this program.
However, depending on your income and assets, you may be required to help pay for the cost of your care through a co-payment.
ESP provides services such as Meals on Wheels, personal care, homemaking and emergency response devices, to name a few. You also get a care manager who will answer your questions, make sure you have the right services, and coordinate care you may be receiving from family and friends.
Services provided by ESP:
- Personal care (bathing and grooming)
- Homemaker service
- Meals on Wheels
- Minor home modification for safety
- Adult day services
- Medical transportation
- Respite for caregivers
- Companion service
- Home medical equipment and supplies
- Emergency response system
- Independent living assistance
- Pest control, major housecleaning
- Care management
Interested families may inquire about Consumer Directed Care, a program within ESP that allows a relative or friend to serve as designated primary caregiver. This program is available to residents of Butler and Hamilton counties.
To qualify for ESP, you must:
- Live in Butler, Clinton, Hamilton or Warren counties (Clermont County has a separate program. Call (513) 724-1255 for more information)
- Be age 60 or older (Hamilton or Warren counties)
- Be age 65 or older (Butler or Clinton counties)
- Be ineligible for services through another program/payer such as Medicaid (PASSPORT, Assisted Living Waiver), Medicare, insurance or hospice
- Be impaired in everyday activities such as bathing, driving and preparing meals
- Be assured you can be cared for safely in a home – not institutional – setting
- Agree to home visits from a care manager
- Agree to help pay for services, depending on your circumstances
Signing up for ESP:
After answering some questions on the telephone, you will be assigned an ESP care manager who will schedule a meeting with you to determine your eligibility. You will be asked to show documents verifying your income, assets, household and medical expenses. Before the care manager's visit, you will receive a letter that lists the papers you will need to provide at the meeting. If you qualify for ESP, your care manager will work with you and your family to arrange for services that best meet your individual needs.
How to get started:
- Butler County: (513) 868-9281
- Middletown area: (800) 215-5305
- Clinton County: (800) 252-0155
- Hamilton County: (513) 721-1025
- Warren County: (513) 695-2271