Always do these things:
- Do your homework: get a realistic idea of what you need and how much you can afford to pay.
- Make sure you can pay the premiums and still have enough money for basic needs such as housing, food, medicines, etc.
- Ask a trusted friend to join you when an agent visits your home.
- Shop around; LTC policies can have big differences in price and benefits.
- Read the outline of coverage very carefully and ask for a specimen policy.
- Ask questions about everything you don't understand.
- Ask your lawyer, a friend, or a relative to review the policy to see what you may have missed.
- Exercise your free-look option.
- Call the Ohio Senior Health Insurance Information Program (OSHIIP) for information or individual counseling: 800-686-1578.
Never do these things:
- Don't buy on the first sales visit.
- Don't sign a blank application.
- Don't pay in cash.
- Don't write checks payable to an agent – always make them payable to the insurance company.
- Don't buy until you are sure you understand exactly what you are getting.
- Don't buy unless you are sure you can afford to make the payments every year.