From false claims of a COVID-19 cure to attempts to steal government stimulus checks, fraudsters are out in full force. Between January 1 and April 15, the Federal Trade Commission has received 18,235 reports related to COVID-19, and people reported losing $13.44 million dollars to fraud.
Below is information to help seniors identify and avoid scams:
- Ohio Emergency Management Agency will NOT call you asking for personal information
- Ohio Senior Medicare Patrol information for avoiding Coronavirus fraud and scams
- Ohio Attorney General: Don’t let thieves snatch your COVID-19 stimulus money
- Federal Trade Commission Coronavirus fraud information
- Coronavirus Scams – Beware Fake Claims, Phony Headlines (AARP)
- Did a nursing home or assisted living facility take your stimulus check?
- COVID-19 contact tracing text message scams
Also during this time, the US Census Bureau is conducting the 2020 Census, and scammers see this as a prime opportunity to steal personal information. We’ve developed a fact sheet to help tell legitimate communications from the bureau from fake ones.