Own Your Future
Helping you plan for long-term care. It’s a gift to yourself...and your loved ones.
Retirement. You set goals and start planning for it early, in the hopes that when that day finally arrives, you’ll be able to live comfortably and do the things you want to do.
But many people leave out an important aspect of retirement planning — planning for long-term care.
It’s a fact: 70 percent of us will need long-term care during our lifetimes. Planning ahead can help you save money, give you greater control over your assets and resources, and improve the chances you’ll be able to live your life the way you want to live it. Plain and simpe: planning now will bring peace of mind for you and your loved ones.
Council on Aging’s Own Your Future Workshop takes the mystery and fear out of planning for long-term care, giving participants the information and tools they need to start on their own plan. At our workshop, expert speakers cover topics including estate planning, legal issues, financial planning and long-term care choices, and participants receive a toolkit to guide them through the planning process.
This is NOT a sales presentation — no marketing, no sales pitches. Our speakers have one goal: education.
Why Plan Now?
- Medicare will NOT cover your long-term care costs.
- Uninsured medical expenses are the top retirement worry for people age 55 and older.
- Only 30 percent of us think we’ll need long-term care. In reality, 70 percent of us will.
- Nine out of 10 older adults say they’d prefer to stay in their own homes if they need care.
- More than 90 percent of seniors have not discussed with their spouse or children how they will pay for care, or what care options they would prefer.
Who Should Attend
Council on Aging’s Own Your Future Workshop Series is for people of any age who are...
- thinking about retirement, or are already retired
- expecting to provide help to aging parents or spouse
- already a caregiver for older or disabled loved ones
- expecting to live a long life!
What You’ll Learn
Own Your Future will help you understand and plan for your long-term care needs and costs. This workshop is designed for people of any age who want to learn more about long-term care -- for themselves or an aging family member. Each attendee will receive a toolkit for developing a long-term care plan of their own.
Expert speakers will cover topics including estate planning, legal issues, financial planning and long-term care choices. After the workshop, you’ll be better prepared to answer important questions, such as:
- How do I pay for long-term care and protect my assets?
- What community resources are available?
- What happens to my spouse and our home if I end up on Medicaid in a nursing home?
- What about Medicare? What will it cover?
This is not a sales presentation — you will not be pressured by insurance agents or sales people to purchase specific products or services. Participating speakers understand our goal is to provide accurate, unbiased information to help you make informed decisions about long-term care planning.
Workshop Dates and Times
Workshops are typically offered in the fall — September and October — at two locations in COA’s service area (Butler, Clermont, Clinton, Hamilton and Warren counties).
Subscribe to our e-newsletter for the latest information on our Own Your Future workshops.