Changes coming to HOME Choice as federal funding ends
Tuesday, October 23, 2018
With its funding source set to expire on December 31, 2018 changes are coming to Ohio’s HOME Choice program.
HOME Choice is a Medicaid wrap-around program that provides extra support and help with housing to transition eligible Ohioans out of nursing facilities and into home and community-based settings.
Established in 2008, Ohio’s HOME Choice program has been a national leader in moving people back home. According to the Ohio Department of Medicaid, more than 12,400 Ohioans have transitioned from nursing homes to home and community-based settings through HOME Choice. This is a win-win for everyone involved – it saves taxpayer money by moving people out of more costly care settings and it provides new-found independence for the individuals enrolled in the program.
Because of this success, Ohio is committed to keeping HOME Choice up and running after the federal Money Follows the Person (MFP) grant ends on Dec. 31. Beginning July 1, 2019, HOME Choice services will be available through Ohio’s Medicaid waiver programs, including Ohio Home Care, MyCare Ohio and PASSPORT waivers, and the Department of Developmental Disabilities Individual Options (IO) waiver. A transition plan is in place for individuals who enroll in HOME Choice on/after Jan. 1, 2019.
The following table outlines the future of the program:
Individuals enrolling in HOME Choice before Dec. 31, 2018
Individuals enrolling in HOME Choice on/after Jan. 1, 2019
- Receive up to 365 days of HOME Choice services paid by the MFP grant
- No changes to available services or providers
- All MFP grant services much end by Dec. 31, 2019
- Enroll into “Beyond the Grant” (BTG) – services and supports are the same as HOME Choice
- New participants accepted Jan. 1 – April 30, 2019
- All participants must complete their transition by June 31, 2019.
- BTG is NOT a 365-day program and will end for all participants (regardless of transitions status) on June 30, 2019
The Ohio Department of Medicaid will have fact sheets available soon regarding these changes and the future of the HOME Choice program for individuals, families, facilities and providers. For more information about the future of Ohio’s HOME Choice program, contact the Ohio Department of Medicaid at 1-888-221-1560 or Home_choice@medicaid.ohio.gov.